The emergence of a new era brought along a lot of luxury with it. Have you ever thought of the reason behind a sudden hike in cases of diabetes and obesity in recent years? The sedentary lifestyle and nutrition are the principal cause behind it. Isn’t it too tiring for diabetic patients to rush to the hospital periodically for regular checkups?
Standing in long queues and waiting for the report takes half of your time. Wouldn’t it be great to have a machine that measures blood sugar at home? These devices are also specific and give you accurate results instantly. If you are new to this term, read the below-mentioned points to know more about its utility.
- A glimpse of glucometer & why to have it at home?
A glucometer is a handy medical device used to measure blood sugar levels. All diabetic patients must have this portable device at their home to monitor blood sugar levels. Newer diabetic patients often ignore the importance of regular blood sugar monitoring that can develop complications later in life. Patients in hospitals often come across an altered blood glucose level. Mostly, it occurs due to hospital-related nervousness and stress. To eliminate these fluctuations having a personal glucometer is the best option.
- Read the manual carefully before starting the procedure-
We recommend all the patients to go through the manual that comes along with the glucometer kit. If you suffer from diabetic retinopathy, then ask your family members to do this work for you. After going through the manual, you will come to know that the kit contains the glucometer device, batteries, lancing device, and lancelets. Some kits also include testing strips, depending upon the package you choose.
Here are the steps to follow-
a) Pre preparation:
- Rinse your hands with lukewarm water and soap; make sure to clean the targeted finger properly.
- Arrange all the items contained in the kit. Before pricking the finger, make sure to rub your hands for a few seconds. It enhances the blood flow to the fingers and makes your pricking easier.
- To ensure proper cleaning, you can use a spirit to wipe your fingers inside out. This step helps to ascertain full specificity to the test!
- Take the lancing device, put the lancelet inside and uncap it. After this, put the cover of the lancing device back & fix the spring. Setting the depth of the lancing device allows you to determine the extent of prick.
- Insert the test strip in the device; it will turn on the device. Some devices function after coming in contact with the blood. Make sure to check which type of device you have to avoid this dilemma.
b) How to prick?
There’s no need to worry about pricking as the lancing device will do all the work for you. How? Once you press the button in the lancing device, it will gently prick the finger. It eliminates the need for manual pricking as it causes anxiety to first time users. After the blood accumulates on the finger, gently stroke it with on test strip. The test strip draws the blood towards itself by its capillary action. After a few seconds, the result will pop in the glucometer.
c) Take care of the following points:
- Immediately note down the results on a monitoring diary for keeping proper record.
- Discard the lancelet and the test trips separately. Make sure to use a new needle and strip every time you test. It eliminates the error in reading and also decreases the risk of infection.
- Don’t forget to wash your hands after the completion of the procedure.
We hope this was helpful to you all. Thank you!